13 tips to help the environment
Since its launch in April 2012, Green Endings by Oakwood Funerals has offered Perth families the opportunity to choose sustainable and eco-friendly funeral services, incorporating sustainable coffins, natural burial sites and carbon emission offsets.
"We're very fortunate to live in a country that is renowned for the beauty of its landscapes, but it's important to remember how reliant we all are on Australia's natural resources," said Regional Manager Daniel McKeig.
"Our staff have each chosen to implement several things from the list of 13 things we've put together, and I strongly encourage others in our community to do the same."
- Take a reusable mug when you visit your favourite café for a caffeine fix.
- Clean the condenser coil behind your refrigerator so it runs more efficiently.
- Find out from your local council’s website which plants are classified as weeds in your area and remove them from your garden.
- Check your tyre pressure at a service station. If your tyres are under-inflated, your car will use more petrol.
- Save coffee grounds and use them as fertiliser on your garden.
- If you no longer use printed phone directories, register online to opt-out.
- Check for leaks in your toilet by putting a few drops of food colouring in the toilet tank. If you see dye in the toilet within 15 minutes, replace the valve.
- Buy local, seasonal fruits and vegetables at the greengrocer or supermarket instead of imported items.
- Register online with ADMA to reduce the junk mail you receive.
- Accelerate when approaching a hill (without exceeding the speed limit) rather than over-revving once you’re already on it.
- Instead of running errands every day, combine them into a single trip.
- Re-purpose glass jars for food storage instead of purchasing plastic containers.
- Let your family know that you’d prefer an environmentally friendly funeral.